Saturday, June 13, 2015

Newer is not always better...

by Carl N. Hudson
I saw a cathedral outside the U.S. for the first time in Florence, Italy. Outside the front doors of the San Marco church, I saw two dramatic, stone-robed statues that led my focus to the humble, weather-beaten wooden doors. However, nothing inside the church was modest. Upon entry, stale scents of history wafted the air alongside the thunderous notes played by a colossal organ.

The San Marco Cathedral left me amazed at such detail found in every wall and corner. I walked between wooden pews; astonished at the dedication, service and perseverance it must have taken scores of men to achieve such a decorated building. I was humbled at the idea that men had mercilessly applied themselves to such a structure.

In the United States, if we had anything this old, it would have been torn down a long time ago to make way for something new. In over 250 years of existence, the U.S. has gradually gained a culture of replacing all older things for newer and better. In Florence, I felt that the city continues to remain flexible for emerging technology but rightfully refuses to tear down old construction in place of something else. Newer is not always better. Perhaps that is why history can sometimes be found malleable since crucial pieces of evidence have been destroyed.