Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Generosity of the Cagli Community

by Autumn Reagor 
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the incredibly warm hospitality our group has been shown during our time in Cagli. The people treat us very well and have been very patient with us. Whether it’s the café owners trying to help us learn the language or the smiles from the church parishioners, I’ve never felt more welcome in a new place.

I have thoroughly loved shopping in Cagli. Each small shop is filled with new surprises and beautiful things. My interviewee told me the people of Cagli love beautiful things – I believe her! But what has been the most humbling is all of the gifts we’ve been showered with at the different stores. Whether it’s packets of lotions or an extra candy bar, this community is quick to share. Many of the gifts I purchased were lovingly wrapped and decorated by the shop owners. It’s a small touch that goes a long way.

As we prepare to leave, I’m filled with mixed emotions. I look forward to going home, but I know that I’ll always miss this time and place. It has been such an incredible experience. I’m returning with a full heart, and I hope to carry back the lesson in generosity that I’ve been immersed in for the past two weeks.